Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Visiting the Victoria falls


Our trip to Livingstone was preplanned but I kept it as a surprise to my wife. So I made reservations for a double executive room at Chapa Classic Lodge in the heart of Livingstone as recommended by my old time buddy Krestah Muchindu.

I had to make the reservation 24 hours in advance because I did not want drama upon arrival. I believe planning is very important before you embark on a trip. And I tried to be true to the principle.

Being me, I do not take the offer. I employ negotiations skills. I followed through graciously and I was awarded about $11 discount.

After I broke the news to the wife that we were heading to Livingstone for three days, we packed and headed for the bus station where my young brother, Israel, had made resevations earlier.

When we got there however the Mazhandu bus station attendant who had made the reservation called their Lusaka counterparts and the response was disappointing. They had sold all the tickets and the bus was full.

Shalom Luxury Coach
We hesitantly turned to the next bus service, Shalom, which proved to be more efficient and more comfortable. To start with the Mazhandu bus which should have come at 11am arrived after 12pm at the same time with the Shalom, apparently which was on time.

What was a disappointed had just turned out for our good. I had almost entertained the thought that we had started the trip on a bad note, and here I was being proven wrong all together. This is going to be a wonderful experience.

There are seven towns to conquer on your way from Kafue to Livingstone. The first is Mazabuka which we knocked out only in 60 minutes. Along with that the Mazhandu bus was also behind us, much to my pleasure.

Monze was next. Our luxurious coach had to stop by at tooters, a fast foods joint, where we had to buy refreshments. 

Accident scene after Monze
As we left Monze we found what appear to be a fatal accident. A truck carrying maize had over turn and the drivers cabin seemed rather twisted. We could see bystanders pulling out the victim out of the ruined truck cabin. What a horrid site. I turned my camera away and the trip continued.

Next, we passed Chisekesi, a countryside and serene and serene location. This is where my wifes grandmother stays. Other than that, we were soon approaching Pemba.

Beyond Pemba, past Batoka where there is a turn off to the famous Mamba mine, we were well on our way for Choma. With a routine stop over, Choma had fallen. Kalomo was next.

We got to Kalomo after 4pm and we just needed Zimba out of the way and our sights would be set at our final destination. That is what happened in no different way. Just before dust at 6pm we touched down and out went my tablet and, straight to social media and I proudly updated my check in on foursquare and facebook - we were in Livingstone, the tourism capital of Zambia.

My good old friend Krestah picked us up at the station and we went straight to the Chapa Classic Lodge. Our room was spacious and comfortable with 42" LCD TV, a bathtab and shower with hot water. It suited our needs just fine.

They have wifi provided by ZAMNET which was the disappointing part because it could not work. If Microlink had better customer service I could have done an immediate recommendation.

But that didn't prohibt yours truly, your tech savvy self-appointed ambassador of tourism. My galaxy tab is accessing 3G on airtel without any difficulties at all. That is how come this blog has been done wholly on my tablet.

Anyhow, Chapa Classic has full English breakfast coming along the booking. We were up at 7am and walked to the diner for our breakfast. But the surrounding are clean, the courtesy is world class and the service excellent. Plus the peaceful environment that we enjoy, being a tourist in Zambia is a wonderful experience. Looking forward to day two.

After breakfast we took walk into town, bought sunglasses and slippers and jumped on a taxi and headed to the Victoria Falls.

The experience was exhilarating. After taking some photos we were served with rain coats, which were appropriate because it was about to thunder. 

We couldn’t wait to get to the knife bridge. Naturally we were all smile, excited like toddlers. The feeling was intense. 

We were right in the heart of one of the wonders of the world.

It was already raining in the bushes leading to the knife bridge. We got there and took a few pictures. Memories had to be saved. We then crossed the little bridge under the storms of the falls. The feeling was overwhelming.

On the other side of the knife bridge, we could see the cross boarder bridge where banji jumping is done. We opted not to succumb to the temptation. We have saved that extreme for next time around. 

1 comment:

  1. Well written article. Love that it's not the usual boring Livingstone stories we read about in the papers all the time. Wishing you and your wife more great adventures.

    ReplyDelete