Friday, June 22, 2012

A Personal Tribute to Likhetso Banda (1981 - 2012)


It is in death that we realize how a beautiful strand Likhetso was in the fabric of the Christian community. But let us not unravel. Instead, let us hold together and love each other the way he loved us. 

And we know he did. Let us learn from his attitude and his impartiality to friends. Let us realize though he is a strand removed from us, God has taken him in order to add him to the fabric of the community in glory where his life deserves to be. 

Likhetso was a great drummer and his departure will leave us with a missed beat. Our music is solemn because even though we know he is in a better place this place will never be the same without him. But without a doubt, Likhetso is definitely playing a flawless beat in the worship team in heaven. 

This morning it has finally sunk in, he is truly gone. The tears that I have shed this morning seemed to have piled up for the last 20 hours. For a while I thought it was a crazy dream and i waited eagerly to wake up. But as reality sank in, our brother is gone for sure. My wife tried to comfort me but for some minutes there, i was simply inconsolable. There is a reason to my pain

Liks loved people, and I was not an exception. A time in my life nearly 10 years ago when things in my life were not going so well, when people found it easy to point fingers at me because of my faults, and to ridicule me because of my frails, even though he was a normal funny person, he was still loving and friendly. He was one individual who genuinely cared. 

I remember him at Northmead Assembly, outside the church with his smile and friendly demeanor. I recall him encouraging me. And even though he was younger than me, he showed greater maturity and love. I will miss him for that. 

I will miss him for his friendliness and brotherly kindness. He was just like that. I remember meeting him at ON THE RUN, and after some interaction he dropped me off at church road and he came in to meet my cousins, and interacted with them as I watched with a pleased smile. Liks would never embarrass you with a bad attitude. 

I remember him during music rehearsals, his passion, his laughter, his ideas, and his specialty in funny but well synced beats. I remember. Liks was truly a star, but he was still humble and kind. 

But I wish I had said thank you. I really wish he had known how much I appreciated him. I really wish I told him how he stood out different from others, worth emulating. Maybe I did, but i can’t remember it because he deserved more gratitude than I could ever recall giving. But if it makes me feel any better, thank you Liks. Thank you for being you and being a blessing. Your music, your smile, your love for soccer, your friendship, and your Christian faith are truly not in vain. THANK YOU

Likhetso Banda died on 22nd June, 2012 after suffering from a heart condition. May his soul rest in peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment